Friday, September 26, 2008

Oooh, I am SO sneaky...

So, anyone who's ever eaten with my family knows that my boys are picky eaters. Sammy frequently has to be re-persuaded to eat foods that he's eaten a million times before and actually likes, and Joshy just doesn't want to eat much at all. It's very frustrating, because I really want them to eat healthy and get into good habits. Several months ago I picked up a cookbook by Jessica Seinfeld (wife of Jerry), all about sneaking vegetables into your kids' food without them knowing. I bought it when I was horrendously morning sick, so I wasn't really cooking at all, and so far I'd never tried it. But I did read the intro where she detailed her devious plans, so the other day I decided to give it a shot. We were making macaroni and cheese pizza, and I had some acorn squash I had picked up at the farmer's market. I cooked up the acorn squash, blendered it, and mixed it in with the mac and cheese. The boys couldn't get enough! They didn't notice any difference, and I felt good they got some vegetables without me having to nag and nag at them to eat. I think I'm going to have to give that cookbook another look...

Oh, and for anyone who has never had macaroni and cheese pizza, it's a sure-fire winner with kids. All you do is cook up the mac and cheese and spread it in the bottom of your casserole dish (2 boxes fills a 9x13 nicely), then top it like a pizza. I used spaghetti sauce (garden medley -- more veggies!), mozzarella cheese (you don't need as much as with a regular pizza because of the cheesy mac "crust"), and turkey pepperoni.

No comments: